Despicable Scum of the Week is a weekly look at a despicable scum. This week…
It hasn’t been a very good year for the Right’s kingmaker and bloated political dinosaur. His trained monkey and house pet Glenn Beck had become too big, too violent, and had started shitting in the kitchen and throwing feces at everyone in sight to the point that Roger was forced to release him back into the wild. The hand-picked cadre of boot-licking sycophants he’s lined up as potential presidential candidates is looking more and more like Dark’s Pandemonium and Carnival. Emperor Palpatine is under the gun in England–feigning idiocy, shuffling around in his pajamas and peeing all over himself in a weak attempt to avoid the firing squad. Even worse for Ailes, all of the potential successors to the emperor’s throne absolutely detest him. The Liberal, Commie, Socialist faggots at Esquire and Rolling Stone wrote devastating articles about him just a few months apart and Gawker has been hounding him like James O’Keefe…
If you look behind the politicians to the strategists on the Right who have turned the Conservative movement into the vicious pack of man-eating wild boars that it is today; the culprits were Roger Ailes, Lee Atwater, Haley Barbour (before becoming governor of Mississippi,) Ralph Reed and Rush Limbaugh, aided by the literally-bully pulpits of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. This rancid collection of enema nozzles and a few associates decided that there was only one way to get the pampered aristocrat George HW elected—who might be the only person in America with less personality than Tim Pawlenty—and continue the national rape and pillage begun by their God, Ronald Reagan. They would not only turn Michael Dukakis into the Antichrist but also beat him to death with large mallets and eat the steaming brains from his freshly crushed skull live on CSPAN. It’s no coincidence that Limbaugh’s deranged psychobabble/radio talk show went national in ‘88. Ailes and Atwater gave us the infamous Willie Horton ad, of which Ailes recalls, “The only question is whether we depict Willie Horton with a knife in his hand or without it.” Atwater, one of the most vicious thugs ever puked out of the Republican Party, once described Roger as “having two speeds—attack and destroy.” For his work Ailes was rewarded with a $20 million media campaign for the tobacco industry and went on in ’93 to produce Rush Limbaugh’s appallingly putrid syndicated TV show.
Finally, in 1996, just in time for Bill Clinton’s re-election campaign, the dark Sith Lord Palpatine accepted Ailes’ first born male child as sacrifice and Fox “News” was unleashed. I can’t think of anyone better than Limbaugh himself to sum-up Ailes and how he went about setting up Fox ‘News’: “Roger Ailes is not on the air. Roger Ailes does not ever show up on camera. And yet everybody who does is a reflection of him.” It’s not just that Fox ‘News’ says it’s “fair and balanced” but also that Ailes so feverishly believes that it is. If he makes a wish, closes his eyes and claps really hard it will be real journalism! Howard Kurtz points out that, “The steady barrage of criticism [of Obama]…has lifted Fox’s ratings, although Ailes says he sees no connection.” Ailes also seems to view anyone straying from Fox’s views as being on the other side. He calls squishy Centrist Juan Williams, “a pure Liberal,” and perceives Jon Stewart to be “sort of an atheist and a Socialist.”
It won’t be long before Roger will be drinking nightly at some shithole bar mumbling about Sharia law and occasionally blurting out “I used to be Roger-fucking-Ailes! Fox ‘News’? Me!” to the nervous patrons around him. But the snarling beast he spawned will live on. Even if Emperor Palpatine is forced to sell Fox, it’s not like the troglodytes at the top of the Republican Party are going to let such a propaganda goldmine go under, they’ll just haul out some other Conservative media whore to run it. The Emperor has already demonstrated to the Inquisition that he’ll throw anyone around him under the bus.
Roger shows enough of what a lunatic he is without me. I’ll let the quotes and the sources speak for themselves. But I’ll let John Amato of Crooks and Liars have the last word on Roger and his merry band of deer tics: “Fox ‘News’ is an exact reflection of Ailes himself: an odious, compulsive liar.”
“I’d like to hire Hillary Clinton. She looks unhappy at the State Department. She’d get ratings.” (NewsMax quoting Newsweek.)
Ailes admits that Fox ‘News’ is a terrorist organization: “The candidates that can’t face Fox, can’t face al Qaeda. And that’s what’s coming.” (Think Progress)
From an Esquire interview:
- “Tell me who you want to see on the Left and I’ll hire them. If you give me a big name that’s out there, that’s floating around and wants work, I’d be happy to hire them. We have Ed Rendell; I mean he was the head of the Democratic Party. He’s on twice a week. You can’t get any bigger than that…I’d be happy to put a bigger Democrat name on if you’ve got one. I go for people who get ratings.” (Note: As far as I’ve been able to tell, no one from Fox contacted Keith Olbermann while he was between jobs; or Russ Feingold, or Alan Grayson, or Cenk Uygur, or…)
- On MSNBC: “They absolutely despise anyone with a different opinion.”
- On Glenn Beck: “I don’t think that he’s nuts.”
From a Daily Beast interview:
- On “atheist/Socialist” Jon Stewart: “He hates Conservative views. He hates Conservative thoughts. He hates Conservative verbiage. He hates Conservatives. He’s crazy. If it wasn’t polarized he couldn’t make a living. He makes a living by attacking Conservatives and stirring up a Liberal base against it. He loves polarization. He depends on it. If Liberals and Conservatives are all getting along, how good would that show be? It’d be a bomb. Look what he does to Sarah Palin.”
- On NPR: “They are, of course, Nazis. They have a kind of Nazi attitude. They are the Left wing of Nazism. These guys don’t want any other point of view. They don’t even fell guilty using tax dollars to spread their propaganda. They are basically Air America with government funding to keep them alive.”
- On Bill O’Reilly: “Bill has not moved to the Right. He’s moved to the Left. He’s been very fair and balanced on Obama, Bush, everyone.”
From an Interview with the Hoover Institute:
- “We have as many Liberals as we have Conservatives on the Fox ‘News’ Channel”
- Um…seriously? “Glenn Beck is actually not a Conservative.”
- On Arianna Huffington: “I did not tell her I enjoyed her on Green Acres but I was tempted to.” Okay, I’ll admit it. I like that one.
- “Americans are simple, but not simpletons. They are very smart. They love their family. They love their flag. They think schools have gone off the edge and killed American history, and they have.”
Others Chime In
Emperor Palpatine on his apprentice: “You know Roger is crazy. He really believes that stuff.” (Rolling Stone)
Dan Rather on Roger: “He repeatedly has shown himself willing to take apart the reputation of anybody who crosses him.” (Rolling Stone)
“The greatest danger to journalism is a newsroom where everyone thinks alike. Because then one wrong turn can cause an entire news division to implode.” (Quoted by Ed Driscoll)
Tim Dickinson’s massive article, “How Roger Ailes Built the Fox ‘News’ Fear Factory” in Rolling Stone.
A profile of Roger from New York Magazine
A Gawker article that includes a hard to read dump of over 300 pages of documents going into incredibly boring detail of Ailes’ work with Nixon and Bush Sr. This has some great insights into Roger’s early political career. If anyone feels like wading through the whole lot, have at it.
This Media Matters piece is only peripherally about Roger but does a great job of exposing some of Fox’s race-baiting bullshit.
SourceWatch’s Wiki-styled Roger Ailes page.
Forbes on why Emperor Palpatine’s kids all hate Roger.
Mark Howard in AlterNet writes a scathing indictment of Ailes and Fox that’s far better than my crap.